Thursday, September 30, 2010

Old Job, New Job

  It all started with one little phone call...

 

A got a call that his company wanted him to interview for a new position in Tampa, FL. We were excited. We were nervous. We were nervous AND excited all at once. He interviewed. He got the job (OF COURSE!). He was offered a sickeningly small sum of money to make the move. We thought it through very carefully. We spoke to our friends and our families. We made spreadsheets. We talked to realtors. In the end though, even though the fun in the sun was calling our name, we knew that it wasn't the right decision for our family at this time. Too much risk, very little possible reward (remind me I said this when it's snowing 5 feet in the middle of February, okok?).


In the meantime, when we found out that things were probably not going to work out, I went on craigslist and started looking for new opportunities. The day before A got the official offer for Tampa, he went on an interview with another company. It was just one of those "stars aligning" kind of things - he clicked right away with their folks and within 10 days had a job offer on the table.


Of course, this factual recounting of information doesn't really portray the emotional highs and lows of YES WE'RE MOVING TO FLORIDA NO MORE SNOW! to OUR HOUSE IS WORTH LIKE $10 WE CAN'T MOVE ANYWHERE EVER! to YEAH A BRIGHT SHINY NEW JOB IS SO FUN! to NO WE CAN'T GIVE UP THE SIENNA! to WHAT IF THIS IS THE WORST MISTAKE OF OUR LIVES? to WHAT IF THIS IS THE BEST THING WE EVER DID? to WHAT AM I GOING TO BE WHEN I GROW UP ANYWAY? to SERIOUSLY FOLKS WHEN IS THIS INSOMNIA GOING TO END?!?! It was a bit much. I am not going to lie to you.


In the end, it was the right thing. IS the right thing. Sure, there' s been some sadness at leaving a job that has served us well. Sure, there's uncertainty. It is a new job in a new undeveloped region. But there's excitement and confidence and hope, too. For me, Miss Stressy-Bessy when it comes to this kind of stuff - I've of course been nervous - the Tampa thing had me coming emotionally unhinged. But this new opportunity has been totally different. I've felt a lot of peace about it. A lot of peace.

And also, what I want to say (write) out loud and record, is how proud of A I've been as we've navigated this pretty difficult and emotional process. He isn't the "career go-getter" like I have always been. A does his job and does it well, and expects to get the recognition he deserves. He doesn't jump up and down and wave his hands in the arm to demand credit. I will freely admit that I've been so frustrated in the past with him for not moving "up the ladder" faster, for not demanding more. I found his patience maddening and sometimes ludicrous. But through this period of transition, he has been so confident. He navigated interviews and offers with such poise, and in situations where I am usually the one leading the charge, he took my hand and I followed him to where we needed to be. I am so proud of the way that he positioned our family to move forward into the next phase of our life. While sometimes it seems hard for me to give him any credit at all (remember the crazy recognition seeker - that's me), I am so glad to step out of the light and allow him to enjoy a few moments of applause.

Well done, A. Congratulations.




No comments:

Post a Comment